MarginMan

Elza: The Girl
Sergio Rodrigues, Zoƫ Perry

Hourglass Heights

Hourglass Heights - Ian David Noakes 3 1/2

I received a promotional copy through the First Reads program. So a tip of the hat to Lily Ryan and Austin Macauley Publishers.

Note: It starts on page 11, so it's 267 pages.

What works: Switching between first and third person. This allows the reader to go places Marcia can't go, while still maintaining her status as the main character.
The short chapters. They keep the story moving along at a decent pace.
The final portion of the book - the last 50 or 60 pages or so. I expected a weaker ending. But Noakes managed to throw in a couple surprises.

What could have been improved: Sex was repeatedly depicted in a negative light. Considering the book is labeled 'erotic', I felt misled and disappointed.
Noakes has a habit of overdoing things. I don't know if this is due to his background in the film industry or merely because it's early in his career as an author. But more subtlety could have helped this novel.
Certain elements of the story didn't come across as realistic to me. And I'm not referring to the supernatural elements.

Final thoughts: It's a decent read. Just expect more crime and horror than erotica. Noakes has a good command of pace and plot. His writing could use improvement in certain areas, but they're areas that can be improved easily with more experience.