MarginMan

Robert Lowell, Michael Hofmann
Elza: The Girl
Sergio Rodrigues, Zoƫ Perry

The Way the Wind Blew: A History of the Weather Underground

The Way the Wind Blew: A History of the Weather Underground - Ron Jacobs I've been fascinated by the Weather Underground for quite some time. They were a group of people who were willing to sacrifice all they had for a larger cause. I disagree with them on some issues and agree with them on others, but I can't question their level of passion or their willingness to back up their rhetoric with action.

Jacobs does a good job of presenting what amounts to an introduction to Weather. He takes us through the organization's chronology and addresses both their successes and their failures. He also gives the reader a picture of them in relation to other left-wing groups of the era. And he raises various issues regarding race, gender, and class, as well as indivdual freedom or lack thereof in the U.S.

I think his reluctance to delve more deeply into the driving personalities behind Weather was a mistake. It was inevitably a personality-driven group due to its small size. I would also have appreciated more input from former Weather members in the current era, or looking back on their time in Weather, in other words. Though to be fair to Jacobs, he might have asked to interview them and been refused. There is a leftist slant to the writing, though Jacobs admits as much at the outset, so it's tolerable.